<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Real Conversation 

"Hi, Will. You got a second?"

"Sure."

"While you were gone, I sent you a couple e-mails, and I received your 'out-of-the-office' reply."

"Yeah."

"Ah. Do you? Um. What, uh . . . do you remember what you wrote?"

"Yeah, it said, 'Thanks for your e-mail. I'm basking in the warm freedom of summer. How's work? I'm sure that when I get back, I'll give your message all the copious attention it deserves. More likely, it will be buried under hundreds of other e-mails. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your message, as well as all your other current endeavors. Have a fine, productive day.'"

"Yeah. Um. What was your goal with that?"

"To brag to others that I was on vacation while they were at work. Ummmmmm. And to notify people I wasn't going to be around to help them right away. That's pretty much it."

"Because, the first time I read it, I laughed. Then, after a couple more times, I thought about it. Then I read it a few more times."

"My 'out-of-the-office' reply?"

"Yes. And I think some people, especially those who do not know your sense of humor, may not . . . well, they may get the idea that you do not care much about replying to them."

"Well, that was not my intent."

"Yes, well. In the future. Let's not do that again. Not very professional."

"You know, I'm on lunch right now."

"Oh, OK. OK. Well, anyway. Good to have you back. We missed you."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?