<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 30, 2003

Losing dignity all alone at 9:30 pm. 

I was running the other night . . . because I've been running at night too often lately. And I was just starting, so I was strong. And I turned right, following the local Catholic high school out to KK. And as I'm going, I saw this guy ahead of me, walking in the same direction. I knew with the traffic up ahead that he wouldn't hear me coming, so I started trying to run on the fallen leaves . . . the crackling to announce my arrival. But there weren't many leaves on that side of the street, so I knew it would be dicey.

I came upon him, and I moved right, onto the grass, and at the last second, he hears me, and whirls -- a karate move, raising his right elbow high in a pirouette -- while shouting out that spontaneous "Whoa!" that's usually reserved for theaters and haunted houses. And then the recognition: his eyes relax and his face all the sudden sinks just a tad, an exhalation. I couldn't help it: "Sorry about that," I said, really feeling bad for the guy. I mean here he is, five-ten, 230 pounds, 39 years old, and I've taken away his dignity in the snap of a stick.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?