<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Knocking Down My Door 

I work 4:PM - 12:AM now, for better and worse. At first the shift took forever. I would sit and look at the clock, and Father Time, out of spite, stopped and laughed at me. People tell you all sorts of things when you move to second shift. Like, "Oh, isn't that great that you have all that time in the day?" And, "With an 8:30 lunch, the rest of the shift must fly by!" But there's no way around 8 hours. There just isn't. You can dress it up any way you like, but it's still 8 hours of work. But now I enjoy my late hours . . . an 8:30 lunch out on top of the empty parking complex, just me, the weary seagulls, and a book.

I've done a lot of reading, lately. Much more than writing, anyway. I've got about a ream of unfinished poems that I can't bring myself to post. I'm plowing through the reading, though. Four novels and at least as many books of poetry in the last couple months. It's like logging slow miles before a season of racing -- it all adds up, and it'll all come out once I do begin writing seriously. Basically, I'm acknowledging theft.

And the good news, to quote Bilbo Baggins, is "I've thought of an ending for my book." It only took two months. The ending I have is one I like, but it is a non-ending. The new ending, while not a spectacle of action, adventure and sex, forces some issues a bit more strenuously. Perhaps I'll finish the damn thing one of these days.

But it's been busy, getting estimates for the fence we have to put up to block our neighbor . . .

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?