<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

This is what's been keeping me. 

So I finally finished my third draft of STFL. Only three months late! It's technically the third, but the second draft really didn't change much. In fact, I don't think the second part of the book really got touched during the second draft. So this one felt substantial, especially considering that the second half of the book needed more attention. I added more than 12,000 words to the latest draft, so the book tops out at 251 pages -- paltry in comparison to my first book, but much closer to what I think is the real story.

I'd forgotten what it's like to finish a book. Of course there's nothing like that first draft, when you hit the end of the creation of the story. But a second draft, which is what I see this one as, is also special; it's a sort of drawing together of strings.

The book still has some legitimate problems. I remember when a professor of mine read a couple chapters, he told me something to the effect of, "This is quite the ambitious project, Will." Another professor had all sorts of ideas for how the book should feed back into its journalism angle, an angle in which I was only marginally interested.

So from that perspective, the book may let some people down. And the ending, while better than before, simply is not a flashy, made-for-Hollywood ending. I like it because it brings the lead character back to the beginning of a circle and forces him to consider.

But at this point, what I like will go out the window. Just as it's fun finishing the first two drafts, so is it more pedestrian working on subsequent drafts. Moreover, I'm much more eager for the book to become what writers and teachers call "the real story". And for me, artist conception goes out the window after a couple drafts. At some point in time, an audience has to decide whether what they read is the real thing, or if the author wandered away from the potential of the book.

I've got one or two people reading it, and I'm looking for more. After getting a review or two, I'll definitely send it to one agent who's interested. Then, depending on how I feel, I'll either drop it or push it hard to a field of other agents. But no in between. If I've written anything commercial, it's this book. So either I stay or go, as the Clash say.

Aside from that editing and selling coming up, I'll begin work on book 3 shortly. I'm busy for a day or two, and I want to have a nice full day to start it. It's been a long time since I've written long fiction from scratch, so I'll need plenty of time to build up the momentum. The good news is, I actually had a dream last night about a scene I have sketched out for book 3. Any time I dream of scenes or characters, I know I'm in the right mindset.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?