<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Reader Response 

What the hell is up with today's post? I know you posted it at like 3:00 in the morning, but that's no excuse.

No, of course not.

You start out with that old girlfriend story, which is interesting enough, but pretty insignificant. I get the feeling you're sentimental about it, which doesn't work too well. What's to be sentimental about?

Not much to be sentimental about. But I worry about losing memories like that. It would be losing perspective.

And then after the Dylan quote, you move on to a completely unrelated story. It's like, 'what is this, "the old girlfriend post"?' Where's the transition? What meaning are you trying to imply? That the failure of that relationship somehow 'leads' to the wreckage or postscript of the other? Were they both so insignificant that you just lopped them together like this?

Agreed. It was a bit lazy on my part.

And what's with that title? "Wrecking the Expectation of a Windmill"?! What the hell is that?

Not my greatest, I acknowledge.

I see you're going for alliteration with the "Wrecking" and the "Windmill", but it's just reaching. I mean, what are you implying with "windmill"? Is that your symbol for the whole male position this post urged -- something along the lines of the slighted guy who carries a torch -- but he's a windmill: always working, always standing strong against the wind of those tough relationships.

Now that you put it that way, it is a bit ridiculous, isn't it?

And let's face it: what the hell are the expectations of a windmill? I just get the sense that you're trying too hard. I just bring this up, because you mentioned one time about wanting to be warned when your writing started getting cheesy.

Yeah. You may be right.

It wasn't a total loss. That part at the end -- "It got to be that some nights, I'd look forward to the wind over the bridge, my hands in my pockets, the buzz in my head, and those inviting, warm lights shining out of the closed, locked windows of random homes." -- that's nice. That's the reason I come to this site. That's a neat image -- warm, inviting lights through locked and random windows. That's what I expect out of this site. None of this bullshit about windmills or Wonder Woman.

Fair enough. Y'all come back now.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?