<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 17, 2005

Question and Answer - Volume Three 

And on to our regular feature, culling questions from your emails, letters, and spoken word.

How's the boy?

He's awesome. Very healthy. Surprisingly easy. Doesn't cry a lot. Just likes to eat, sit, look around, and be cute. He's a lot of fun. The wife and I are now the baby people on Seinfeld. "Why don't you come over and see the baaaaaaaby. Come and see the baaaaaaaby, Jerry. You have to see the baaaaaaaby." It's really sick.

How's the wife?

She's doing great. She looks like she's already back to her pre-preg weight, which is amazing. She recovered really fast, wasn't in a lot of pain. She's back driving and shopping again. She's even ready to go back to work early, the weirdo.

How is Ranger coping?

Ranger is a king of dogs. He's handling the new family member great. He gets worried when Nolan cries. Mostly he ignores Nolan or just tries to lick his head clean.

You guys getting much sleep?

Yes, believe it or not. We're up two or three times a night, but somehow I imagined it would be more difficult than it is.

What's hardest / most annoying about having a kid?

Having to listen to everybody tell me how I should bring up the boy -- from how I hold him to what he wears to where he eats to what I read to him. Everybody's a know-it-all and everybody acts like since they brought up a kid, there's only one way to bring up a kid, and if you don't do it their way, your boy's gonna die, or at least be deficient, and it will all be because of you. Whenever one of these people drop their unsolicited feedback on me now, I just respond with: "Will he die? Oh, no? Then I think he'll just have to tough it out. After all, the cavemen made it."

Also really annoying: all the condescension we get, such as: "Oh, he's nice nooooow. Just wait until he grows up and turns into a monster." Fuck you and the negative horse you rode in on. Don't you think I know this kid is going to drive me up the wall before I know it? Go soak someone else's parade with your urine.

So how come you never mentioned Jessica was expecting?

I like surprises. Also, for months and months, this was the major conversation piece of our lives. That gets old. This was a nice little sanctuary from it.

So is this site going to be all about your kid now?

That could get really old, couldn't it? It's certainly not my aim to become one of those people who only talks about his kid and doesn't have a life outside of work and family.

Any recent confrontations with the Wicked Witch to the North?

Nothing major. Although she did put up her crappy Christmas lights again, basically just tossing them into the bushes in a mess and then congratulating herself on how BEAUTIFUL they were. Since they were half in our bushes, again, we looked like the crappy Christmas lighters.

Are you running much?

Lately, I can actually finish runs. I'm at a happy 30 miles a week, with no more knee or back pain. Running in this severe cold hasn't been bad -- it's the wind that's difficult. We've had this northwesterly wind that makes the second half of my runs challenging.

What's the coolest gift you got / gave for Christmas?

I got Jessica (among other things), Chef Tony's Ultimate Chopper after being fascinated by his infomercial for an hour one night. Yes, it kicks as much ass as Chef Tony claims.

How's your new book coming?

In spurts. I'm in the meaty section, which is real difficult because I'm trying to create a layering of cause, intention, and effect. But it's rewarding.

You need more links. Other blogs have like a thousand links.

Yeah, I know. I haven't really had a chance to browse and read much lately. Plus, I like a good assortment, not just the big regulars. And political blogs don't hold much interest for me unless they're unbiased. One of these days there will be more.

What music are you listening to lately?

I haven't bought a whole lot of new music lately. I've been addicted to Modest Mouse for the last seven months. Otherwise, Weezer, Sly, and Dylan have been frequent. I'm about ready to drop some big payments on my Bank of America card -- the card I lived on after losing my job two and a half years ago when I bought my wife her ring and a new (used) car. So once I'm back to even, in terms of my debt, I'll go out and get some new music.

Are you finally done with school?

Dangerous, giving a definitive answer to this question. But, yeah. I miss taking English and Philosophy, but I don't miss the work or the attitudes.

Is the connection still there, even without communication?

If two people aren't communicating, a connection could still exist -- to memory, which is pretty subjective. Then again, there are people I don't talk with anymore that I wish I could. While I look back on many of those people fondly, I look the same way at a book I read years ago but lost. I know I've probably forgotten some important parts, and I couldn't speak intelligently about it. I guess I would hope those people are still doing well, moving on, and finally living their own life and not letting it pass them by.

What do you do at your job?

Answer calls and emails. It's a job. I don't bring it up here much because it's just a job. But I like going to it, I mostly enjoy doing it. Good people work there, which is more than I can say for a lot of the jobs I've done. And when the day is done, I can get in that elevator and leave the job back behind the doors.

Do you still drum?

Not lately, but I have been drumming. Pretty limited setlist, and I really don't drum enough to be very good. But it's a lot of fun.

Are you still out of writing poetry?

Yes. For now and for a while. I got a book of Billy Collins's poetry over the holidays, and he's great. But he also didn't change the fact that I don't plan on writing any for a while. I will continue my little Carmody series eventually.

Ever been to Vegas?

I get asked this question so often, and I can't figure out why. No, and someone please tell me why Vegas is this Mecca of American adult enthusiasm. I'll be happy to go. Flights and hotel prices are dirt cheap. But I just don't understand the orgasmic reaction people have to that town.

You don't have cable? You live in, like, the dark ages.

I know. But I'm used to it now and can't fathom paying $50 a month. If I did, my writing would dry up and I'd just sit home, flipping channels. So the longer Jess and I hold off the cable monster, the better I'll probably be.

Your Packers sucked this year.

Yeah, they did. But that doesn't change the universal truth that Randy Moss is a bitch.

Why are your "picks of the week" sometimes every week, sometimes gone for months?

Yeah, yeah, I know. The staff hasn't been that with-it. How about: Broken Arrow and Bride of Frankenstein?

Thanks.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?