<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 23, 2005

Finding the Worst 

Ladies and gentlemen, I've done it. I've found my "Worst Movie Ever". Last night at the video store -- as usual, I paced the horror aisle before hitting New Releases. Nothing really jumped out at me until I found this little disc promising a disturbing little anthology of stories "not for the feint of heart". I bit.

Cradle of Fear -- and you can read my review on the linked site -- is all of these things:
•• British horror. I can't really tell you why this doesn't work. I know there have been British horror films that have worked, like the Hammer films. But it really, really doesn't work.
•• Shot on videotape, so the entire viewing experience feels like you're watching a high school student's end-of-year film project.
•• Gore and splatter effects that are so poorly executed . . . again, hard to imagine anyone over the age of 17 was involved.
•• They must have recorded all audio while filming, because the dialog is almost entirely in the background; conversely, the sound effects -- utterly obvious foley noises abound -- and terrible, British synth-metal overwhelm the audio.
•• No causation. There's no reason anything happens. It all just . . . happens.
•• Not a single likeable character.
•• All sorts of T&A . . . but you'll leave wishing they kept their clothes on. Not pretty. Take my word on this. Some things should not be shaped like reflected cones.
•• Predictable in every scene. What's worse -- each vignette is about a half-hour long. So even though you know what's going to happen in the first 5 minutes of each piece, you have to struggle through a half-hour of dreck.
•• Total running time of 120 minutes long! If you've got a bad horror film on your hands, please, keep it to the industry-standard 90 minutes!
•• Astonishingly, the dvd includes a brief "making of" video, in which listeners are treated to watching how the dreadful effects were achieved; all throughout the video, the director is heard, saying: "Oh, that's smashing. Just smashing. Oh, lovely. Lovely. That's just brilliant. Brilliant."

I guess the consolation is I can only go up from here.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?