<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 12, 2005

Excited About a Hammer 

I spent the weekend in hardware stores. While walking around, pretending to know what I was looking for, I made my way through the hammer aisle. And while I couldn't find what I was looking for, I admired the hammer selection. I even thought to myself, maybe I could use one like that; never had one like that before.

Which reminded me of a time when a friend of mine asked me for a hammer. When I gave it to him, he said, "Wow. This is a fine hammer." He made eye contact with me. He was serious. What made it an odd statement was this hammer is what we'd always had in the house. We'd all used it.

So another friend, who was at about the height of his powers for dialogue at this point, said something to the effect of, "Goddamnit, Dave's got to get back into school. He drops out of school to work construction, and all the sudden he's checking out hammers. Like they were important. Jesus Christ."

But I guess everybody's got to get excited about something.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?