<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 31, 2006

It's Cold but not that Deep, Cause Your Legs Grow 

Why is it always that the most un-fun people are in charge of activities meant to be fun?

This happens all the time. Probably every CCD or church youth instructor thought of themselves as infinitely fun and exciting (as well as being a life-changing force in the lives of kids who just want to go back to bed) when in reality, they are embarrassing themselves. I see this same thing happen in the office too. All the sudden someone wants to have some "fun".

And they always announce it that way, too. As if -- to engage in pleasurable behaviour, one must know beforehand that it will be fun. Just in case they didn't already know. And there are always a lot of rules and nonsense involved, aren't there? Lot of fun, rules are, aren't they? Yeah, rules just emanate fun. Let's add more rules to everything.

But what can you do but go on?

I've been saying that a lot lately. It breaks it all down, I guess. Just, go on. I say that to my dog when I want him to move. Go on. Not leave, not scram, not get the hell out of here (well....sometimes). Just go on.

I try not to quote a lot of movies anymore. It's old, click-y, and for the most part bores me. But there are two or three phrases I let out. One is from Vacation, after Chevy has embarrased his wife in front of the entire hotel by swimming with Christie Brinkley. It's not what he says that I like -- it's how he says it: "She's ugly." This is how he describes Christie, in an effort to win his wife back. And he says it in this -- "Honey, don't be CRAZY." -- tone. So that's what I say all the time to my wife (not that I've hopped in any pools with Christie) when she knows I know she knows I'm bullshitting her.

But other than that one and maybe a couple others, I just stick with the simple phrases now. It's a world of cliches, so I'm gravitating to what is simple, clear, direct and not cliched. This is part of why I'm trying to not be apart of any planning activity in general, much less a fun activity. I make no bones about it. I am not fun. I watch these television shows where the fake reality people date, and they're always dancing or jumping off buildings or ice skating or rollerblading or boating or something grand and fabulous. And I don't do any of those things -- more importantly, I don't want to. So I've found it's best to just avoid all this nonsense.

And this is why it is great to be an adult.

Because there is no one forcing you to try something you don't want to try. You can receive peer pressure -- but at this point in my life, I just don't care. I could have a stadium full of people shouting at me. I would smile. Probably blush. But it wouldn't matter. If I'm going to do something, it's because I make the call. That freedom to be simple is a beautiful thing.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?