<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Your Teeth are All Red and There's a Little Bit About You I Don't Wanna Know 

There is an art to corporate speech. People are not laid off. There are adjustments made. Leverages taken advantage of.

I used to have this job in which a woman sat kitty-corner from me. And it was only a couple days into her time with us that I knew for sure: she wasn't going to make it. It was unavoidable. She maintained a blissful ignorance of any performance standards or professionalism.

And yet . . . . years later, there is much I remember about this woman.
When they fired her, she was so upset that she wouldn't leave the women's restroom for nearly an hour. I still remember the management team pacing and slumping outside the restroom doors, wondering how to deal with this woman they didn't know, who was so crushed by what they had done.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?