<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 11, 2008

Once Again Into the Fray 

My Dear Mr. N-----,

If I believed in drops in the bucket, I would consider the matter of voting one of more importance than a menial task such as, say . . . combing my hair.

Seems ridiculous? But then, combed hair is considered to be an important part of the presidential process. Integral even. If you don't believe me just read any major news outlet's review of a presidential debate: they always spend plenty of time or space on how the candidates looked. Did they look presidential?

And when I think about it more, I realize that I'm not really voting for McCain, Clinton or Obama. I'm voting for the people who vote for them. In fact there was a little article in the paper today that one of these delegates was a 21-year-old college student who had never voted in a presidential election before. Yet here he is, a 'super-delegate', they called him, taking calls from the Clintons and John Kerry, among others. He's among the best and the brightest in the democratic party, they say. And I wonder how it's possible for a person who's never voted before and who has so little life or political experience to be considered for such a position. The only result I can come up with is that he is not the best and the brightest. Political parties do not even desire to enlist the best and the brightest. But I bet he's excellent at following directions. I bet he was a hell of a multiple-choice test taker in his day. I'm sure he's quick with slogans. And I can tell you he already looks the part. And that's exactly what the political parties want -- loyalty without a whole lot of thought.

I watch these great ads about changing this and changing that, but they don't tell me how they're going to do it. Nobody ever asks me to sacrifice. Everybody wants to give me something (tax cut, guaranteed health care, an end to war, etc.) . . . presumably so I'll give them my vote. It's all a little too reminiscent of life on the animal farm . . . hearing the pigs in the other room, dressed all in human clothes now, and not being able to tell whether they really were pigs or humans. As a kid I loved politics. It's all the same snorting now.

Everyone tells me I have to vote for change, and the logician in me snaps right back in his chair and thinks, "Bush ain't on the ballot, folks -- we're guaranteed change no matter what happens." Would I not vote out of spite?, you ask. I guess it depends on how motivated I am when I get up in the morning. Either way, with or without me, Wisconsin will have chosen.

By the way, I'm surprised to hear such virulent democracy coming from your (former?) communist pen. I guess I'll take that as a sign of healthy progress. Who knows, in 10 more years you may become a certified Libertarian. Eh, maybe not.

Anyway, I wish you good health and bright days in the golden land west of the St. Croix, and hope to remain--

Yours Truly,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?